Author Topic: CHAPTER 6 - SECTION 4  (Read 332 times)

Commentary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CHAPTER 6 - SECTION 4
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »
6.4.1. The present section is introduced to lay down the method by which to obtain the kind of son who, by the manner of his birth and conception and by his good qualities, will help to achieve the worlds both for himself and for his father. Only a person who knows the meditation on the vital force and has performed the ceremony of the Mantha leading to prosperity, is entitled to this ceremony of the Mantha leading to the birth of a son. When a man wants to perform this ceremony, he should, after performing the former ceremony, wait for the right time of his wife. This we understand from the mention of the seed being the quintessence of the herbs etc. The earth is the essence of all these beings, moving and stationary, for it has been stated that it ‘is like honey to all beings’ (II. v. 1, adapted). Water is the essence of the earth, for it is pervaded by water. Herbs are the essence of water, for the herbs etc. are the effects of water. Flowers of herbs, fruits of flowers, man of fruits, and the seed of man, for another Sruti says, ‘It is the essence emanating from all parts of the body’ (Ai. IV. 1).

6.4.2. Prajapati, the Creator, thought, ‘Since the seed is thus the quintessence of all beings, what can be a fit abode for it?’ Thinking thus he created woman.

6.4.6. If perchance he sees his reflection in water, he should recite the following Mantra: ‘(May the gods grant) me lustre’, etc. She is indeed the goddess of beauty among women. Therefore he should approach this handsome woman and speak to her, when she has taken a bath after three nights.

6.4.7. If she is not willing, he should buy her over, press his wishes through ornaments etc.; and if she is still unyielding, he should strike her with a stick or with the hand, and announcing that he was going to curse her and make her unforunate, he should proceed, uttering the following Mantra: ‘I take away your reputation,’ etc. As a result of that curse, she comes to be known as barren and unfortunate, and is then actually discredited.

6.4.8. If she is willing, or agreeable to her husband, then he should proceed, uttering the following Mantra: ‘I transmit reputation into you.’ Then they both become reputed.

6.4.12. If a man’s wife has a lover whom he wishes to injure, i.e. to cast an evil spell on him, he should perform the following rite: He should put the fire in an unbaked earthen vessel --- everything to be done in an inverse way --- and offer the reed tips, soaked in clarified butter, in the fire in an inverse way, accompanied by the following Mantras, ‘Thou hast sacrificed,’ etc., and at the end of each mention his name, ‘such and such.’ The man whom a Brahmana with knowledge of this ceremony curses, departs shorn of his merits. Therefore one should not wish even to cut jokes with the wife of a Vedic scholar who knows this ceremony, much less give any more serious offence, for even he who has such knowledge becomes an enemy.

6.4.13. If anybody’s wife has, etc. This paragraph should precede the passage beginning with ‘She is indeed the goddess of beauty among women’ (par. 6), for the sake of consistency. She should drink for three days out of a cup (Kamsa). No Sudra man or woman should touch her. After three nights, when she has finished the three nights’ vow, she should bathe, put on a new cloth --- these words, though at some distance, should be connected here and be put to thresh rice.

6.4.14. He who wishes that his son should be born fair in complexion, study one Veda and attain a full term of life, i.e. a hundred years, should have, etc.

6.4.15. Have rice cooked in curd. If he wishes his son to be versed in two Vedas, he should follow this rule about eating.

6.4.16. Simple, natural rice is meant. The mention of water is for precluding other ingredients.

6.4.17. The scholarship of the daughter is regarding domestic affairs only, for she is not entitled to read the Vedas. Rice and sesamum should be boiled together.

6.4.18. ‘Vigita (reputed) literally means ‘variously praised.’ Frequenting the assemblies, i.e. eloquent, for scholarship has been separately mentioned. Delightful, lit. pleasant to hear, i.e. words that are chaste and pregnant with meaning. Rice cooked together with meat. The meat is restricted to that of a vigorous bull, able to breed, or one more advanced in years.

6.4.19. In the very morning he takes the rice, produced by the threshing, purifies the clarified butter according to the mode of Sthalipaka, boils the rice and offers Sthalipaka oblations again and again, saying, ‘Svaha to fire,’ etc. Here all the details must be understood as being in accordance with the Grhya Sutras. After offering, he takes up the remnant of the cooked food, eats part of it and gives the rest to his wife. Then he washes his hands, sips a little water, fills the water-vessel and sprinkles his wife thrice with that water, saying the following Mantra: ‘Get up from here,’ etc. The Mantra is to be uttered once.

6.4.20. Then he purifies her with Mantras, and both eat the rice cooked in milk or other things according to the kind of child
desired. This is the order to be followed. While retiring, he embraces her, saying the following Mantra: ‘I am the vital force,’ etc.

6.4.24. Now the post-natal ceremony is being described. When the son is born, he should bring in the fire, take the son in his lap, put a mixture of curd and clarified butter in a cup, and offer oblations again and again (in little quantities) with that in the prescribed part of the fire, uttering the following Mantra: ‘Growing in this,’ etc.

6.4.25. Then putting his own mouth to the child’s right ear he should thrice repeat, ‘Speech, speech (Wishing that the Vedas may enter him.).’ Next, mixing curd, honey and clarified butter, he feels him with (a strip of) gold not obstructed (by anything), uttering the following Mantras, one at a time: ‘I put,’ etc.

6.4.26. Then he gives him a name. ‘You are Veda.’ That, the word ‘Veda,’ is his secret name.

6.4.27. Then he hands him, the child who is in his lap, to his mother to be suckled with the following Mantra: ‘O Sarasvati, that breast,’ etc.

6.4.28. Then he addresses the mother as follows: ‘You are the adorable,’ etc. Of him who is born, etc. --- A son born in this way becomes the object of praise in such terms as the following: That he surpasses his father and grandfather, and that he has reached the highest degree of attainment through his splendour, fame and Brahmanical power. The Brahmana who possesses such knowledge and gets a son, also deserves similar tribute. This is understood.