Author Topic: CHAPTER 6 - SECTION 13  (Read 204 times)

Commentary

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CHAPTER 6 - SECTION 13
« on: April 07, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
6.13.1. Even an existing thing may not be perceived, but it can be perceived through some other process. With regard to this listen to an illustration. If you want to experience this fact then avadhaya, keeping, dropping; etat lavanam, this salt in the form of a lump; udake, into water in a pot etc.; atha, then; next pratah, morning. you upasidatha, come; ma, to me.'
Sah ha, and he, in order to experience the idea expressed by his father; tatha cakara, acted accordingly. Next day in the morning, tam, to him; uvaca ha, he said; 'Yat, that salt; which avadhah, you had kept, dropped; udake, into water; dosa, at night; anga, O dear one, O my son; tat ahara, fetch that.' Having been told so, na viveda, he could not find out; tat, that salt which he wanted to bring; avamrsya, after searching. For that salt, even though existing in the water, had become dissolved, mixed up in water.

6.13.2. 'Yatha, as you did not know; vilinam the dissolved salt, nevertheless the salt which was not perceived as a lump by sight and touch, surely exists in water. It can be perceived through some other process.' In order to make this comprehensible to his son he said: 'Anga, O dear one, O my son; acama, sip; by taking asya antat, from the top of this water.' Having said so, he told his son who had acted accordingly, 'Katham, how (does it taste)?' The other one said, 'In taste lavanam, it is salty.' Similarly, 'Acama, sip; by taking madhyat, from the middle of the water. Katham, how (does it taste)?' 'Lavanam, it is salty.' Similarly 'Acama, sip; by taking antat, from the bottom. Katham, how (does it taste?' 'Lavanam, it is salty.'

If this is so, then 'Abhiprasya, throwing away; etat, this water and washing your mouth; ma upasidatha, come to me.' Tat ha, with regard to that; tatha cakara, he acted in that way; i.e. throwing away the salt (water) he came to his father, speaking thus: 'Tat that salt which I dropped in that water at night; indeed; samvartate, exists; sasvat, always--it is fully present as an existing thing.' To him who spoken thus, the father said: 'Though this salt had been perceived earlier by sight and touch, it ceased to be perceived by them when dissolved in water. Still it was present there, for it was perceived by some other means, viz tasting with the tongue. In this very way, atra, eva, here itself, in this body which is a sprout and a product of fire, water, food (earth), etc.; na nibhalayase, you do not perceive with the organs; sat, Existence which is the cause of the products--fire, water, food etc., though It is present like the subtleness within a seed of the banyan tree.' The indeclinable words vava and kila are used in order to indicate the recollection of the teacher's instruction. 'As the salt surely existing in this very water, unperceived by sight and touch, you perceived by some other means like the tongue, you can perceive Existence which is the source of the universe and is present atra, here; eva, itself, by some other means, like (the perception of) the subtleness of salt.' This portion of the sentence remains understood.

6.13.3. 'That which', etc. is to be explained as before. 'If in this way, although Existence which is the root of the world is not perceived through the organs, like the subtleness of salt, It can be experienced through some other means, then what is the means for realizing That by realizing which I shall become fulfilled, and by not realizing which I shall become fulfilled, and by not realizing which I shall remain unfulfilled? Please explain this to me over again, venerable sir, with the help of an illustration.' He said, 'let it be so, O good- looking one.'

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:36:58 PM by Commentary »